This was a practice piece. I’ve found a nice interior photo on pinterest and I tried to replicate it in Cinema 4D (the original photo is at the end of this post). The final image is not 100% identical to the original, but I kinda like it anyway.
The interesting part of modeling has been done in ZBrush. The surface details on the tiles and the counter are not a displacement map, they are actual (decimated) geometry. The faucet modeling was so uninteresting that I just put a couple of cylinders together.
Lighting and rendering have been done entirely in Cinema 4D and its excellent render engine. I’ve used a HDR image (from the sIBL archive) coupled with an infinite light to light the scene. The texturing is almost completely procedural (the noise shader is just great). The only non-procedural texture is the wood at the bottom.
Post production in Photoshop.
The original clay sculpture was made by Nicola Ghiaroni, this is a 3D replica obtained from a very low resolution 3D scan later refined in ZBrush.
Rendered with Cinema 4D physical engine, post production in Photoshop.
These are some of the shots i’ve made for Amiko’s promotional video.
I was under a deadline so i spent most of the time optimizing the render settings, trying to achieve a flickering-free animation with crazy short rendering time.
Cinema 4D for rendering, After Effects for post production.
You can increase video quality up to 1080p
Amiko – Quantified Medicine from Martijn Grinovero on Vimeo.
Amiko offers a solution designed to help people better manage their medications. Amiko makes use of Leafs – small and beautifully designed smart mobile devices. The Amiko leafs are designed to be attached to the chronic patient’s medication, and track its usage automatically in real-time. The leaf connects wirelessly to the patient’s smartphone and provides reminders, feedback, notifications to loved ones and caregivers and other useful features for managing medications.
The concept is not mine, this is part of a much bigger project. He’s supposed to be some sort of magician that allures people in his game in order to control them.
I used mainly Cinema4D, Maya and ZBrush for modeling, UV and textures, Vray for rendering.
Some useful resources:
HDR maps: http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/archive.html
Dust, fingerprinst, etc: http://www.reallyjapan.com/blog/tutorials/dusty-textures/
Since my last post I’ve changed my mind like a dozen times about the shading I’m going to use for the animation.
My first attempt has been photorealism, but I’ve soon realized that my animation was going to be far too long to even consider a rendering time of 60secs or more per frame.
What took so long to render were the blurred reflections, the AO and the GI.
So first of all I turned off the blurriness, leaving the task for post production.
Then I set the GI parameters to the lowest quality but still, the GI algorithm to avoid light flickering during animation is pretty heavy.
The AO was actually pretty easy to fix since the effect could be baked as a texture. The only problem was that the initial object would eventually disassemble in many components, so i could only bake the single object self AO, not the entire effect.
The result, before i got sick of photorealism in animation, is the first image.
After many variations and tests, i came to the conclusion that the best way to achieve a pleasant look, an easy to read image and a fast render, was a technical illustration style (second image).
In these days i’ve been busy unwrapping the UVs, a process that people usually consider boring. I must admit I agree, even though seeing the geometry squashed in 2D gives me an odd satisfaction.
In the meantime I decided to go for materials, so next step will be polypaint.
Since the modeling is complete (I’ve added the motors and a few screws), I made a very short test just to make sure that everything looks all right.
You can increase the quality up to 720p.